I recently needed to make a birthday card for my special crafty friend Lesley. You know how it is when you want to make a special card for a talented crafter, the pressure is on and it took me four attempts before I got a design I was really happy with. This was the result.
My card started making a wrinkle free distress background using Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Shaded Lilac and Evergreen Bough inks. When I had made it I wanted more texture in my background so I flicked lots of water over it with a paintbrush which gave me some nice blotches which I felt fitted with my hollyhock design well. My main stamp is a Unity Stamp Hollyhock Design by Donna Downey - this is a whoppa of a stamp at 8 inches high and I had to use my quilters square as a mount. The stamp is quite elusive in the UK and I managed to get hold of it through a special order. I stamped in Blue Violet archival ink.
I knew I wanted to add the sentiment on a torn vellum strip. The sentiment from the Darkroom Door Friendship Flowers set is stamped in Cobalt Blue archival ink. Once the strip was stuck into place, I added Hollyhock die cuts using an Impression Obsession die (which also has a matching stamp which I nearly also used) cut out of a wedgewood blue card highlighting the blooms with blue and purple Pan Pastels, added with a small sponge applicator.
To finish, I die cut small butterflies using the Tim Holtz Butterfly Frenzy strip die, I embossed these, placing them carefully into an embossing folder to pick out the best parts of the pattern which I then highlighted in Lilac Treasure Gold. Small brad like stickers completed the design which was mounted on a black 8 x 8 card.
Thanks to my faffing about, I am embarrassed to say my card was over a week late arriving with Lesley. At least it has now arrived and I have a clearer conscience!
The other news is that Lesley has posted the first project on our relaunched shared Craft Stamping Quartet blog here today. Do pop over and have a look at her brilliant project.
Have a great, sunny and warm weekend.
Elaine x
Friday, 16 May 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



My card is beautiful Elaine and well worth waiting for. It now has pride of place on the mantlepiece giving me wonderful artwork to display for a little while longer. You do realise there are now stamps and dies added to the top of my wish list!
ReplyDeleteHugs
Lesley Xx
Can imagine that Lesley was very happy receiving this card! Beautiful colors and love the hollyhocks! xxMiranda
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Lesley thought it was well worth waiting for - beautiful card. Have a great weekend Elaine x
ReplyDeleteHi Elaine, I also think that Lesley would be very happy with this beautiful card. Love that background. I hope you are doing well. Hugs, Shirleyxx
ReplyDeleteA gorgeous card Elaine, and your Hollyhock purchases have been put to good use. Mine are as yet unused! The colour combination is delightful, with a great depth of layers. The torn vellum looks great over the background, and the butterflies add a lovely finishing touch. Fabulous embossing. Love Judith xx
ReplyDeleteHello Elaine,
ReplyDeleteYou have done a brilliant job, even though the pressure was on! lol! The time you take with all the layers is amazing. The full effect of the card is very beautiful!
Hugs,
Terri
Oh, your card is so delicate and pretty Elaine.
ReplyDeleteFlorence x