Thursday, 13 August 2015

Inking, stitching and a thank you!

I am back with another of my inked and layered cards made for another of my special crafty friend's birthday which was this week.


I inked my background with Distress Inks in Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers and Iced Spruce. I added some interest with a doiley stencil and then overstamped with a Woodware Script stamp and then a Just Rite Fern stamp. The sentiment is by Honey Do stamps. The darker stamping is in Chipped Sapphire. I mounted the panel onto a 6 x 6 black card. I always love black as the background to my inking.

Next I would like to share my finished Lily Pond blanket. This is the most complicated crochet project I have ever tackled, a Crochet Along project which is designed by Jane Crowfoot and published in 8 fortnightly instalments by Stylecraft Yarns. It started in April and I more or less kept up to date with the different sections, just hitting the odd point where I was very challenged and slowed down.



Although my blanket is not 100% perfect, I am really happy with what I achieved and I feel much more confident for tackling more challenging projects now. In fact I have already ordered the new Jane Crowfoot Persian Tile blanket kit which is really beautiful.

One of the blogs I enjoy following is Mitenska - a simple blog from the blustery north. It is the blog of Sarah, an artist and photographer, Mum, wife, sister etc. I love Sarah's blog especially for her beautiful painterly photographs which I always find such a pleasure to browse through. A while back Sarah had a blog competition to win one of her hand drawn and painted name paintings. I was the lucky person chosen at random and this is my name drawn and painted especially for me.


I am hoping my OH will make me a frame for it and the plan is to display it in a new studio space that I hope is in the pipeline for me in the not too distant future. Sarah's work incorporates lots of natural images and fine detail. Look at this lovely daisy. I can't tell you how much I wish I could draw like that.


You can see more of Sarah's work here on her blog and there are links to how to order similar things for yourself too. Thank you so much Sarah for your generosity, it was such a treat to get this in the post.

Hope you are not too wet wherever you are. We seem to have escaped the worst of the wet weather here, but I see not too far up the coast it has been really wet and there has been flooding. Typical summer holiday weather and so different from my last post!

Elaine

9 comments:

  1. You have balanced that sentiment beautifully with the fern stamp in Chipped Sapphire & I can see your 'at homeless' with this style of layered card; the depth is lovely & yet the layers don't detract from the sentiment & those ferns.
    Your Lily Pond blanket has come out so well - no wonder you're thrilled with it & have gained in confidence with your crochet. Just think of all the experience you are gaining with such a complicated project.
    I can see why you are thrilled to have won that piece of artwork - those daisies are indeed exquisite. In fact the other elements are a treat too - I shall have to investigate her work further.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card my friend! Love all the layers and the images you used. I thought I was ahead making one with a certain person in mind several weeks ago as I knew Izzy & Charlie were coming and then forgot to post the blooming thing :-(.

    Your blanket is truly beautiful and well done for overcoming the difficult parts. Can't wait to see the next one.

    Lucky you winning the pretty name plaque!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the lucky recipient of the birthday card I have to say it really is stunning and you are absolutely right about the black background. It really sets it off. Well done for finishing your blanket. Such a treasure. Sarah’s daisies on your picture took me back to childhood. Only then did I look at a daisy closely enough to notice its furry stem. What a talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Elaine, I am having a rare day online hoping to visit some of my blog friends. I am happy to be able to visit you today : )
    The birthday card is glorious! You are such a master at inking in layers. It is really a beauty.
    The blanket is amazing! Wow! Yay for you that you took such a challenge.
    Thank you for thinking of me and checking in. You made my day and warmed my heart.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elaine, lots to see here today :) Your card is lovely with all the great layers, your crochet blanket is stunning, I love it ! And finally congrats on receiving the gift, it's very pretty. I hope you are doing well, Hugs, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it has taken me so long to get here! A stunning card - All my favourite colours! Your Blanket is wonderful - I love the colours and the design - so beautiful! Congratulations on winning the prize from Sarah. I follow her blog and on instagram too - she is so talented

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Elaine -
    So sorry for taking ages to come here and comment. I'm really pleased you like your picture. And I'm very flattered at the above comments too... Things are getting extremely busy around here what with house renovations, writing commitments and the art work. I hope you're enjoying the transition towards autumn.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment over at mine Elaine. I didn't know the name of that plant. I love your blanket and I'm a big fan of Sarah's work too.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dreamy soft look of your card and of course those blue green tones. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is always appreciated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.