Monday, 1 December 2014

A watercoloured birthday!

It is one of my special friend's birthdays today and it is always a challenge to try and make a special card for a talented crafter. This is the card I made.


As with so many of the cards I have been making recently, it is hard to get a good pic. I have been watching a number of videos of people making watercolour backgrounds. This was inspired by some cards made by Jill Foster for Penny Black. I started with a piece of thick smooth watercolour paper and added some different watercolours onto a wet background. I had roughly marked out the areas with tiny pencil marks to guide my planning with the stamp I was to use for the design. When thoroughly dry, I ironed the panel to make sure it was flat to stamp on. I added the Penny Black stamp Woodland Wonder  in black archival ink. The deer from the Penny Black Nature's Friends clear stamp set.

I finished by mounting the panel onto a patterned 6 x6 paper and then onto an 8 x 8 black card base. The Inkylicious sentiment was embossed in a metallic EP and the die cut leaf, cut with a Prima die, was decorated with Onyxite and Amethyst Treasure Gold paste.

I am currently really enjoying my crochet. This is my first ripple blanket made to try and master the pattern. This is a lap blanket which used a mix of yarns I had in my collection. It is not perfect, but I was quite pleased with the result. I am sure everyone who makes blankets has sections where the colour scheme appeals more that another. but overall, I feel happy with it and if I am feeling under the weather, I do find snuggling on the sofa with this blanket makes me feel a little bit brighter. This pic was before I sewed all the ends it.


Whatever you have on your agenda this week, I hope you have a good one. Time for me to get back to writing those Christmas cards!

Elaine

7 comments:

  1. A fab card...have a funny feeling your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, love the watercolouring, I'm sure your friend likes it :) I used to crochet a lot and thinking about getting back into it. Fabulous colours! I hope you are doing well. Hugs, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine, hope you are doing fine? I assume it's also cold there just like here......you've made a beautiful card for your friend( I think I know her LOL) and I am sure she will be happy with this! Your crochet is also lovely and will be looking very nice and warm on the couch! hugs and x from overseas, Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the iridescence of the the die cut leaf & how it echoes the embossed sentiment's shine & texture. Your positioning of the deer is super for you get the sense of it looking towards the sentiment & there is lovely balance in the whole design with the eye being led inwards by your leaf from the bottom right. Your ripple blanket is an absolute joy - snuggling under that would cheer anyone up - the transition of the reds into greens had me heart singing………
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elaine, I am happy to visit you today : )
    Your card here is very lovely! I am sure your crafting friend will love all your amazing details and the love you put into her card.
    Your new needlework is fab! What a wonderful cozy vibrant blanket! No wonder you feel better under it.
    Happy Christmas to you,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning, Elaine! I love the little scene with the deer and the skeleton leaf too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well here I am finally playing catch up, to say thank you for my beautiful card. I absolutely adore this stunning scene, and the colours are just perfect for me. It really gives such a sense of peace and tranquility, my go to word, when you look at the design. Thank you again, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is always appreciated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.